Drink plenty of water
When we talk about eating well, it’s easy to forget that simple, wonderful liquid: water. Water is critical to every cell, organ and process in the human body – it’s essential to stay hydrated. Not only will any number of processes from head to toe run smoothly, but you’ll look better – your skin will benefit from this most natural of moisturisers. You’ll also feel alert and energised – you’ll find that the more water you drink, the less need you have for caffeine. Where possible look at getting the purest water possible, too. Glamorous? No. Exciting? Maybe not. But miraculous? Definitely. A crucial aspect of eating well is drinking well.
Tips for increasing water intake
- Carry a water bottle everywhere you go. It can be refilled anywhere there is a faucet and act as a constant reminder to drink more
- Eat more water-rich foods, such as beans, fruits and vegetables.
- Drink a glass of water before every meal and another one during the meal.
- Flavour water with lime wedges, cucumber slices, fruit pieces or other natural, healthy foods.
- Never wait until you are thirsty to drink. If needed, set reminders on your smartphone to drink a glass of water every few hours.
- Order water instead of soda, tea or coffee when dining out.